Thursday, October 2, 2008

Transience

There’s nothing like a run in with mortality to bring one closer to Allah. Even if it was not mine; especially because it was my father’s.

He was shot in the chest on the night of the 28th July in our kitchen, by one of two burglars. They escaped with nothing but our peace of mind. My brother, who was in the next room, drove my dad to the hospital while my sister, barefoot and hysterical, tried calling my mum and family members for help while in the car. (Her R12 of airtime lasted, somehow).

She called me too, in desperation, but stuck in this tiny town a thousand kilometres away, all I could was pray. Please keep him alive, please keep him alive.

[Oddly, I remember thinking of the novel Shades during those hours, and Father Charles’ belief that those who have enough faith don’t need to bargain with God. I didn’t. None of that “Please Allah, if you do x, then I promise I will do y”, because my dad also taught me that His will doesn’t come with conditions.]

I flew home the next day, but nothing could have prepared me for what I saw. My dad has always been my bastion, my cliched pillar of strength. I love him like he is invincible, as daughters often do. But seeing him outside of our lives’ template - in a hospital bed, wires protruding from his body, struggling to breathe, grimacing every time he moved – was a hack to the heart each time.

Two months later, he’s almost recovered from his injuries. He’s got his smile back, but not his verve. And sometimes I can tell that the puffiness around his eyes is not from exhaustion but tears.

Life persists, we comply dutifully, rehearsing platitudes that “we’re okay now.” Even if my sister has nightmares and my mother has insomnia and I cry in the bathroom.

I fluctuate between sheer gratitude and abject rage, ineffably glad that my father is alive but repulsed and terrified to be living alongside people with no humanity.

7 comments:

Saaleha Idrees Bamjee said...

I'm pained by this, and by all the other awful things we hear, like the man who was on his way to Durban to surprise his mother, and shot dead in front of his wife on the N1 highway this morning.
How do we stop feeling so impotent in the face of all this violence?
I'm glad your father's doing better, and pray that time soothes your family's pain.

qk said...

@saaleha: it's appalling that incidents like these are part of everyday South African life. I don't think we have a comeback to this violence, unless we too resort to violence to protect ourselves. I used to be proudly South African until this happened.

Anonymous said...

This must have been a truly terrifying experience. However the human spirit can overcome tremendous adversity if we just let it. Sadly, it sometimes takes such a close call for us to appreciate each other.

Shafinaaz Hassim said...

we live in times of war... seven years ago, i watched my dad being beat up in front of me, gun to my head... and even then, i thought, it cant be everyone with no regard for human life. i wanted some sign of it. but the cries of war still echo, every day. a wounded nation's psyche seeks to wound the innocent. wheres the fairness in that exchange. of course, im glad to hear that your dad's recovering. question is, whats the thought on him being in this position in the first place?
sorry, i ramble incoherently when im emotional. the questions continue to bubble ominously...

Anonymous said...

Alhamdulillah - for your father's recovery.
So many experience this pain of losing fathers to the scum of our country. When I heard of the shooting I bargained, when I heard of his death I accepted it. I don't bargain anymore =|
(I was 13 tho, to me, he was gonna walk in that door months later & tell us he was a government operative and had to pretend he was dead)
So most of my life I have not been a patriot, and not just because of his death.
I don't think violence sorts initial violence out - SA has potential but there are always groups of people that continually screw up progress. Without strong leadership and a proper justice system, we're f$%^&d.

Crimson Shimmer said...

God loves his children :)

thank you for your comment.
stay for tea anytime...

Nooj said...

how do i comment on a new post? i love the love poem. it's so ahppy...esp to read on a monday morning :)

Post a Comment

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com