Monday, October 13, 2008

the tentacles of time

The prelude to death scares me more than death itself. How vain of me to be twenty-two years young and petrified of ageing, but it’s not the mental image of wrinkles or dentures that make me quiver. 

It’s the thought of the gradual erosion of everything – one’s eyesight, one’s memory, one’s selfhood.  

It’s the inability to climb a flight of stairs, or bake chocolate cake, or read Douglas Coupland anymore.  

It’s the feeling of everyday, all-the-time helplessness as someone else scrubs your back, feeds you lunch or plaits your hair; the things mummy used to do for you when you were six.  

It’s the indignity of having to greet visitors when you’re in a hospital bed and your chest is exposed and you are wearing a urine bag. 

It’s the inevitability of loss as your children surround you, and you relate memories of your youth and remind them to bury you next to your husband.

It’s the unmistakable sound of your own gulps for breath, and the taste of too many pills and the slow tears of no more hope.  

It’s the quiet, bewildered surrender as you lay there, empty, having come to the end of yourself.


4 comments:

Zahera said...

Whaaa... im all depressed now! *goes back to thinking about the life growing inside* :-)

Its the circle of life isnt it? We enter being dependent on others and in alot of cases we leave being dependent on others. Its like my mum always says- old people become like children again. Its scary really- my independence loathes the mere idea of someone else having to bear my burden. Id rather not exist than be in a state of dependency. Then i see my loved ones around me, who are dependent on me/others and i think, "please, i dont mind how much i have to do for you, i dont mind how much at times this might annoy me cos im only human- just dont leave and dont go."

Funny world. And everything in it.

Nooj said...

wow, scary down to earth images
as someone's FB status said, "youth is wasted on the young"
it kills when I see my loving, nurturing nani go through the same stages. but her Presence is still as warm and fulfilling. Her jokes are still as witty, even though they don't come as often. Her eyes still filled with concern, even though she can't do as much as she wants to for me. I think we need to reflect on these stages as Allah SWT says, from weakness to strength and strength to weakness. And find His secrets in them

bb_aisha said...

I pray I never have to be dependent on anybody & weak in health. I want to die young

KiLLa said...

links u.
pls advise if u mind or not.

Post a Comment

 
template by suckmylolly.com flower brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com